First of all, the first thing I do when coming down with a cold, is to make sure I have plenty of peppermint tea on hand. It helps to:
- Clear nasal congestion
- Clear mucous-y cough
- Sooth sore throat after coughing
- Relieve headache
- Wake you up when you feel groggy
- Keep you hydrated when you lose fluids from runny nose & sweating
Also, my husband swears by Cold-FX pills. Personally, I find them hard to swallow and don't always sit well with my sensitive stomach, so allergy medication (anti-Histamines) works well to relieve all the coughing, runny nose, headache & sneezing.
This is because our bodies react to a cold virus in much the same way it reacts to an allergen: By releasing a hormone called Histamines, which induce extra mucous production to help detoxify your body so you feel better. Only it doesn't feel good at the time :/
So for today's #Kawaii365 project, I drew a couple of cold-related items:
Other ways to help alleviate a common cold are:
- Make a 'tea' of honey with hot water. It soothes the throat.
- Sit with your face over a bowl of hot water or hot tea, and place a towel over you & the bowl to breathe in steam.
- Do some mild yoga to induce proper flow of fluids.
- Drink a mug of hot chicken broth. The fat has antioxidants in it that help our bodies heal.
- Get lots of vitamin C from oranges, lemons, cranberries, pineapples, etc. in fruit and in juice form.
- Put Vapo Rub on your feet and cover with socks.
- Also use a cotton swab to put Vapo Rub in your nostrils.
- Give your temples & nose/sinuses a massage 3x times daily.
- Sleep with a humidifier running so you don't go 'dry'.
Thank you for reading this daily blog, and I appreciate you! xoxo