Thursday 21 July 2016

Let's Discuss Some Pop Culture!

Konnichiwa (こんにちは). How are you today?

While I'm finishing up the baby pillow dolls (yesterday's project which spilled over into today), I'd like to share one of my favorite things. It's called Manga, and it's often confused with Anime.

\ (^_^) /

When I was getting my Art Diploma in 2009, I was going for it with the goal of someday writing my own Manga (graphic novel) series based on the 12 signs of the zodiac. My need for a day job trumped that though, so it ended up on a back burner.

I still occasionally stop to read Manga though. Did you know that, even translated into English, authentic Japanese graphic novels are read from right to left? So the front cover is actually on 'the back'? Cool stuff ^_^

If you call these books Anime, you're not alone. A large percentage of western culture does the same thing. Anime is actually film, shows or animated shorts drawn in traditional big-eyed fashion. Examples are Sailor Moon and Pokémon, which I am super happy to observe have come back. I'm a total 90s kid so those things took up a good deal of my childhood.

However, if you're a fan of Japanese (and Korean) cultures to a degree, you might've noticed some of the cartoons are girly and sort of 'bubblegum'. That is called Shoujo. Roughly translated it means "young lady" which explains why Shoujo art is often very romantic.

Then there's the extreme opposite end which is aggressive, themed around warriors/fighting, robots, monsters, etc. and this is called Shonen (also shounen). Translated roughly, it means something like "juvenile boy".

~  _  ~

So which style do you prefer? Are you an even fan of both?
And do you prefer to read a good Manga or watch a good Anime?

Answer in the comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment