Wednesday 16 August 2017

Reviewing The Last Year

Hello everyone!

Last Wednesday, I did a 'different kind of Review Wednesday' and I'm going to do another one today (August 16, 2017).

On July 10 of this year, I completed a year-long 'cute art' project dubbed #Kawaii365

Close up of the final project; a mini museum


This daily art project was inspired by reading the Noah Scalin book "Unstuck: 52 Ways to Get (and Keep) Your Creativity Flowing at Home, at Work & in Your Studio" (2011, Voyageur Press)


Rob & I won this book when he took me on a date to an adult coloring event at our library downtown. I was excited enough from winning something, but I had no idea yet how much it would change my life! This was July 2016. 

After completing some of the projects, I decided to dedicate myself to a year and go all-in. So every day for 365 days (from July 10), I made a new piece of art in the Japanese 'Kawaii' (meaning cute) fashion. And it became an entire lifestyle! 😄


Originally,

I wanted to put all 365 days' worth in order, but there wouldn't be enough room in this post for all those images (HTML doesn't allow for that). So instead, I looked over my year of artwork, and saw some patterns in which they could be categorized:

6. Disney
14. Rainbow


This project has truly been an honor. There are almost no words to express the gratitude in my heart. Since July of last year, I've networked and gotten to be a part of some of Red Deer's most exciting art projects, including Alberta Culture Days and Art Battle International. I've been featured in various local news sources [toward the end of the project].

I've also gained momentum in selling my art and developing a unique style. I've improved my Etsy shop, as well as opening a RedBubble and even Zazzle shop! And most recently, I developed a new line of characters called Zoo'd Animal Hybrid Friends.

Though I got my Art Diploma in 2009, I ended up leaving that part of me on a back burner while I ended up settling for a retail job, and looking after a home. I always said to myself "I'll get to be an artist someday." It took 7 years for my 'someday' to happen, and it did. And I couldn't be more grateful. 

Now it's the rest of an exciting journey from here...

xoxo,
Daryl J.



No comments:

Post a Comment